Upgrading my computer ...

Hardware, software, overclocking, new technologies, problems, and much more!

Upgrading my computer ...

Postby Dan » Sat 8 Dec 2007 20:27

I finally recieved all the new parts for my PC yesterday, so I spent the afternoon rebuilding it all ... :)

Here are the new parts that I got ... :D

1 x Asus Maximus Formula motherboard (Intel X38 chipset, DDR2, LGA775) :

Image Image
Image Image

1 x PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 Mb DDR4 (PCI-E 2.0, DirectX 10.1) :

Image Image

2 x OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2 Gb Dual Channel 800 Mhz Cas 3 DDR2 memory kit :

Image Image

So there you go, there's some very nice hardware there isn't there ... :D

The motherboard is one of Asus's top end motherboards, based on Intel's X38 chipset, and it's also a part of Asus's Republic Of Gamers range, which means that it's full of features and excellent for overclocking. It's an LGA775 motherboard, so it supports all of the latest Intel processors, from the Celerons right up to the new Penryn based Quad Core processors. It supports DDR2 upto 1200 Mhz, which is great, as DDR2 is much cheaper than DDR3 at the moment. It also supports Crossfire for having multiple ATI graphics cards, and it has PCI-Express 2.0 as well, hehe. The board also has loads of other things, like 6 Sata II ports supporting raid, fancy onboard 7.1 audio, lots of USB 2.0 ports, firewire, and it even has power, reset and clear cmos buttons integrated on the board itself, as well as a hard drive activity LED, which is very usefull. It also has a fancy cooling system, with loads of heatpipes and heatsinks. Good stuff, lol ...

The graphics card is ATI's latest and fastest one, which is currently really hard to get hold of, so I was right to preorder it! It supports DirectX 10.1, has a PCI-Epress 2.0 interface, and runs 512 Mb of fast DDR4 memory. It also accelerates HD video, uses less power than the previous generation and runs cooler too! This has to be one of the best graphics cards ever, being extremely fast, feature rich and cheap too! What more could you want, lol. As for the ram, well, it's always hard to choose good ram, but in the end I went for two of these OCZ Reaper kit's. They run at PC2-6400 800 Mhz, with timings of 3-4-4-15, which is good for 800 Mhz ram! There's nothing much to say about these really, except they look awesome with their heatpiper cooling system, lol!

Here are some photos of the new parts put together on their own :

Image Image
Image Image

Here are some photos once they've been fitted into the computer case :

Image Image
Image Image

Here are some photos of the onboard audio and LCD poster lit up :

Image Image
Image Image

So there you go then, that was longer than I thought it would be, so I'll stop now, haha, sorry ... :mrgreen: :lol:

I'll post up the complete specs of my pc and some benchmark results in other topics as soon as I get the time ... 8-)
~ Dan
Drifting is the skilled art of rapidly avoiding noobs, at crazy angles with lots of smoke!
Welcome to Silly Project, feel free to make yourself at home, just don't touch my Pringles, hehe!
Dan
I'm admin, me!

Re: Upgrading my computer ...

Postby [SPTR] Luis! » Sat 8 Dec 2007 20:34

hmm c'est du lourd ton matos!!!

Vivement que j'esseye de rivaliser avec mon prochain pc de bureau :P

mais je doute.... on vera bien ou la téquenique est quqnd je vai me commader les piéces :P
[SPTR] Luis!
2.2L Turbo

Postby Dan » Sat 8 Dec 2007 20:37

Hehe, bonne chance alors ... :mrgreen: :lol:

En tout cas, si tu veux t'acheter des pièces pour ton pc un jour, n'hesite pas à me demander des conseils ...
C'est mon bolout, donc j'ai essayé le plus part de matos qu'il y a, je sais bien ce qui marche fort ou pas, hehe ...
~ Dan
Drifting is the skilled art of rapidly avoiding noobs, at crazy angles with lots of smoke!
Welcome to Silly Project, feel free to make yourself at home, just don't touch my Pringles, hehe!
Dan
I'm admin, me!

Postby [SPTR] Luis! » Sat 8 Dec 2007 22:59

compte sur moi alors :
[SPTR] Luis!
2.2L Turbo

Postby El Niño » Sun 9 Dec 2007 18:41

Jadore ton Ventirad! :D javoue, bon matos!!!
;)
El Niño
1.4L

Postby Stevo » Sun 9 Dec 2007 20:43

Wow looks amazing, but never judge a book by its cover ;), still, the specs are... :o I want one :P, but as i say should be gettin my pc soon, 1/1000 compared to yours ><
(¯`·._.·[Ś†Êvö]·._.·´¯)
Stevo
2.2L Turbo

Postby greg_slideways » Mon 10 Dec 2007 03:38

Can I please have it... PLEASE... haha
greg_slideways

Postby [SPTR] Luis! » Mon 10 Dec 2007 15:36

Question.

Tu aurais pas eut meilleur temp de prendre 2 8800GT en SLI???
Niveau performances pure...

je me référe a ces tests les pages suivante on aussi des tests...

On voit que la 8800GT est devant dans presque tout les tests.
[SPTR] Luis!
2.2L Turbo

Postby Dan » Mon 10 Dec 2007 16:15

C'est simpliment car je prefer ATI, question de goût personnel ... :)

Je trouve que ATI a une meilleur qualité d'image, meilleur pilotes, et meilleur support de formats / acceleration vidéo.
Aussi, on ne peut pas faire du SLI sur une carte mère avec un chipset Intel, seulement sur une avec un chipset nVidia.
La carte ATI est moins cher aussi, et pour les performances, ça se retrappe en overclock, hehe ...

Les performances pure ne sont pas tout ... :)
~ Dan
Dan
I'm admin, me!

Postby El Niño » Mon 10 Dec 2007 19:15

Ca fait plaisir que quelqu'un aime ATI! tout le monde parle d GForce mais m**** j'aime pas :D g tjr eu d ATI et aucun probleme, dc je continu sur ATI! VIVE ATIIIIII :lol:
;)
El Niño
1.4L

Next

Return to The computer section