Work.

Talk about anything and everything you want, come and have a chat with us!

Re: Work.

Postby Justin » Thu 23 Aug 2007 20:29

Not at all man, I think your the only one that has helped me on this topic on these forums yet *cough*
Opps, Did that slip out? :P

Anyway, Thanks very much. I am often considered more mature then my peers.
Next summer, even if I quit this job, I will have $3000 in the bank for a car, and I will have about $1000+ for personal spending money for the summer (I'm fairly cheap and don't spend much anyway.) I won't be working, I'll be, "working". I will be babysitting (or watching) my little cousins and cleaning up the house etc. Making a bit more pocket money and having lots of fun and my aunt and uncles house. Then when I am 16 I want to go for a better job then the one I have now. I just really fear I won't be accepted anywhere.
Like I say now though, since your "Only young once", Fuck it.. I'll worry about a car later on in life.
"Your only young once".
Justin
1.4L

Postby Jenkins » Fri 24 Aug 2007 04:00

Yeah, for me, a car was a big thing. I've been working on cars since I was 8. I work on a racecar on the weekends, and no more about cars than most men in their 30's. It's more of a way of life for me. I possibly even have a career in them, who knows. It's not about following a timeline for life...when you're 16, you buy a car, and have a job. When you're 18, you have a job, and go to college. When you're 24, you have a job, and get married, and buy a house. When you're 30, you have kids...no, you don't HAVE to work and get a car. Sure, you may want a car but nobody is forcing you to get one. I don't know about market trends in your area but there are a couple beaters in my area that can be had for as little as $500. Hell, drive that around, a lot of high school / college kids around here do that. They don't save up, and spend a couple hundred bucks on a car, and they spend their moeny elsewhere. Or you can buy a car for around half of what you would normally save up, and work 25% less, therefore you still have 25% overfunding, to do whatever with.

Just watch out for other expenses once you get your car. I made the mistake of buying my car, with the $6,000 I saved up, and then I had to worry about insurance which is $150 / month for just liabilty(whoo! sports car.), and maintainance. Luckily I know how to replace my own transmission so I don't get raped on labor fees, but I just bought a new clutch($300) and will need my transmission rebuilt($3-600), and I only have $900....so I'm rather tight on money at the moment :[
Jenkins
250 cc

Postby Justin » Fri 24 Aug 2007 20:19

Yup. I understand all that.
I want just an old beater, I don't know why everyone seems to think a bit different.
Anyway, I don't mind saving up and buying my own car, insurance, and gas and maintenance, and since I don't party, don't drink (much.. I mean, a few drinks on the weekend isn't gonna result in no car..), I don't smoke..
but, how do I know at 16 I am going to be able to get a job? ... I don't!
Thats what I fear so much...
"Your only young once".
Justin
1.4L

Postby Jenkins » Sat 25 Aug 2007 20:54

You've already had 1 job. That's a LOT more than most 16 year olds. Most kids don't think they can get a job until they're 16, and so they go into their first job with no expirience. The place hiring is going to look at you, who've become used to 1) Schedules [showing up on time], 2) taking orders from the boss, 3) discipline, etc...They take atleast a 50% less risk from hiring you than someone else. Unless of course you're fired for 1 of those 3 things..because depending on how serious it is, it may be a better idea to take the risk on someone with no expirience.

13 days before your birthday(so you don't have to start on your birthday), go and fill out a TON of applications. Assuming you still have your job, they'll see that you want to have time to give your 2 weeks notice at your current job. They'll respect that as for they'll want you to give atleast 2 weeks notice if and when you quit their job. They may put 2 and 2 together, and figure out in 2 weeks you turn 16, but they won't really care. For one, you then have 2 weeks to interview, and discuss things with your potential employer.

Also, I'd look for a job at somewhere like a restaruant. Be a bus boy...people quit that job all the time so there's bound to be an open spot at all times. Sure, it means you'll work Friday AND Saturday, from 6-close(probably 11/12 PM) all summer, but it's a good place for a first job. A lot of people have their first job as a bus boy, and as long as you're willing to work hard you'll make good money(try to find one where you get tip share).
Jenkins
250 cc

Postby Justin » Sun 26 Aug 2007 05:11

You seem to know what your talking about, I'm gonna check your profile for an msn addy, if not, do you have one?
You seem to know what your talkin about like I said, so I'd like some more personal advice.

Anyway, I got 21 (yes I counted) different place I will be placing apps. in at when I go for a job at 16, if none reply, then maybe I'll go die in a hole or something...
If you got MSN I'll show you the list via that, if not then I'll PM or just put it in my next reply.
"Your only young once".
Justin
1.4L

Postby Dan » Tue 28 Aug 2007 22:38

In terms of buying a cheap car, go for it! ;)

My car is a great example, I only payed 200 euros for it, and look how much it's been improved in the 2 years I've had it!
I personally think it's more enjoyable to have an old car to do up than a newer car that's boring and more expensive so you have no money left.
My car is 17 years old now, and apart from the odd bit of maintenance that all cars need from time to time, it runs fine and has been perfectly reliable ...
~ Dan
Drifting is the skilled art of rapidly avoiding noobs, at crazy angles with lots of smoke!
Welcome to Silly Project, feel free to make yourself at home, just don't touch my Pringles, hehe!
Dan
I'm admin, me!

Postby Justin » Wed 29 Aug 2007 03:28

I see.
See, around here, having a 17 year old car, or, when I go to get a car it'd be about 20 years old, people would laugh at you.
Things are different, and much more fucked around here.
"Your only young once".
Justin
1.4L

Postby Dan » Wed 29 Aug 2007 09:38

Yea, I guess it's not the same. Nobody laughs at my car though, and even if they did I couldn't care less, I like it ... :D
~ Dan
Drifting is the skilled art of rapidly avoiding noobs, at crazy angles with lots of smoke!
Welcome to Silly Project, feel free to make yourself at home, just don't touch my Pringles, hehe!
Dan
I'm admin, me!

Postby Speed » Wed 29 Aug 2007 15:00

my moped is 32 years old and it still drives and i love that thing :D if people laugh at me i don't f*cking care let them laugh, for me is it a beatiful oldtimer ;)

This is my moped: Zundapp KS 50 with a 70 cc and 20mm mikuni :)

Afbeelding(38).jpg
Speed
2.2L Turbo

Postby Dan » Wed 29 Aug 2007 15:03

Speed wrote:if people laugh at me i don't f*cking care let them laugh

I totally agree ... :D

You should post that pic in the proper section by the way ... ;)
~ Dan
Dan
I'm admin, me!

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion